-Discuss different animal cell culture methods
-Figures allowed with legends (if needed) and figure numbers included in text.
-References included in text
Answer the following Show That You Know questions for this unit:
1. Thoroughly explain the theory of segregation. Does it occur during mitosis or meiosis?
2. Give a detailed description of genotypes and phenotypes. Explain the difference.
3. Describe the functions of DNA and RNA. What are the four different kinds of nitrogen-containing bases that occur in the nucleotides of DNA? Explain the function of each.
4. What is a codon? What is an anticodon? Explain their interaction.
Answer all four questions on the same MS Word document (.docx or .doc). Do not use PDF or any other format.
Label each question. You may do so by repeating the question and following it with your response. The words of the question do not count toward the required 250.
You are required to use and cite at least two sources in every answer. The course textbook is primary and is required for every question, but you must also use internet research. In addition to the textbook, for each question response, you are required to use at least one credible reference source found on the internet. These sources must be cited appropriately where used and be properly listed at the end of the paper. You usually will have at least 5 sources on your reference list.
Also here is the textbook source:
Starr, C., Evers, C. A., & Starr, L. (2018). Biology: concepts and applications (10th ed.). Cengage Learning.
Name: Mr. Christopher Franklin
Age: 60 years old
Mr. Franklin is a 60-year-old patient with a history of a thrombotic cerebrovascular accident two years ago. After the stroke he started with seizure attacks. He has been suffering from hypertension for the last ten years and ulcerative colitis since last year. He currently takes lisinopril, hydrochlorothiazide, aspirin, carbamazepine, and a low dose of prednisone.
Mr. Franklin has been suffering from epigastric pain, sensation of fullness, and occasional nausea for the last six months. This time, he was brought to the ER because, while he was talking to his son, he had a dizzy spell and fell to the floor. He is conscious and is complaining of severe epigastric pain. He began with mild abdominal pain two days after he started taking a new cycle of prednisone for his colitis, around seven days ago. The pain increases when he eats or drinks something. He is also complaining of suffering from pyrosis, malaise, and dizziness, and he has noticed that his feces are dark.
The patient was a heavy alcohol drinker until he had the stroke. He is a cigarette smoker since he was 20 years old. His mother suffered from Alzheimer’s disease and died of colon cancer, and his father died of cirrhosis of the liver.
On physical examination we found:
Remarkable Signs on Physical Exam by Regions
• Abdomen: Pain on palpation on epigastric region
• SOMA: Right hemiplegia and hyperreflexia
Remarkable Signs on Physical Exam by Systems
• Integumentary system: Pallor, diaphoresis, coldness
• Cardiovascular system: Tachycardia. Blood pressure 70/50 mmHg. Radial pulse 110.
• Digestive system: Tenderness of epigastric region. Rectal exam showed melena.
• Neurologic system: The patient is conscious and well oriented to time, place, and person. Right hemiplegia and hyperreflexia.
• Complete blood count (CBC)
• Metabolic panel
• Lipid panel
• Abdominal CT scan
• Upper digestive bleeding due to drug-induced gastritis
• Hypovolemic shock
• Acute anemia
• Stabilized thrombotic cerebrovascular accident
• Essential hypertension
• Ulcerative colitis
In at least 750 words, or 3 double-spaced pages, prepare a case report that addresses the following:
1. Based on the case study provided, respond to the following questions:
o Identify and differentiate the symptoms from the signs in this patient.
o Did you find any remarkable detail in the personal and social history of our patient that can help to make the diagnosis?
o What results do you expect to find in the tests ordered?
o What are some future complications the patient is at risk of developing?
2. What organs are included in the upper digestive system? Mention and explain at least three other conditions of the upper digestive system that may be a cause of digestive bleeding.
3. What specific sign on the physical exam is characteristic of upper digestive system bleeding?
4. What organs are included in the lower digestive system? What are some causes of lower digestive system hemorrhages, and how do you differentiate them from upper digestive system hemorrhages?
5. According to the patient’s previous medical history, it is possible that he has cirrhosis of the liver? Why? Can cirrhosis of the liver be a cause of upper digestive bleeding? What is the prognosis? Explain.
6. Are there any specific risk factors of diseases of the gallbladder or pancreas? If so, why, and what is the prognosis?
This subject is multicultural health
Select a peer-reviewed article online via the online credible library article database that focuses on evaluating a multicultural health or spirituality component. The article should either be a qualitative study (e.g., focus group) or an experimental study. Do not select an article that is a literature review (e.g., systematic review or meta-analysis). If you are unsure whether your article meets the criteria, please email me.
When answering the prompts, do not copy and paste any material from the article into your paper. This is considered plagiarism and will result in a zero on the paper and/or in the class. This paper needs to be in your own words. If you want to use the exact language an author uses, you must use quotations as outlined in the APA manual.
In 4 pages, use the following format (include the bolded headings) and answer the prompts. Include a cover page that includes the name of the assignment, date, course number, and your name (this is not included in the final page count):
Provide an introduction that gives the reader important information about the purpose and goal of the study.
Explanation of the Sample
Provide an explanation of the study sample that gives the reader important information about who participated in the study and how the participants were recruited.
Explanation of the Multicultural Health or Spirituality Component
Provide an explanation of the multicultural health or spirituality component being studied.
Overview of the Findings
Discuss at least 3 findings of the study. These should be outcomes of the study or study themes, not an overview of the sample demographics.
Overview of the Study Limitations
Discuss at least 3 study limitations of the study. These can be discussed by the author(s) and/or ones that you observe.
Implications of This Work
Make at least 3 connections as to why this study is important to public health professionals who are dedicated to cultural competence or humility.
Introduction: 5 points
Explanation of the sample: 5 points
Explanation of the multicultural health or spirituality component: 5 points
Overview of the findings: 5 points
Overview of the study limitations: 5 points
Implications of this work: 5 points
Formatting, references, grammar, and composition: 5 points
I would like results to be obtained for me for the three stem cell types namely:mesenchymal(bone marrow),induced pluripotent stem cells,and embryonic.An example of the specifics are listed below.
Statistical analysis would be done using Minitab. Three groups would be analysed hence ANOVA (analysis of variance) test which is done when there is normal distribution and equal variance or Kruskal Wallace (when distribution is not normal and variance not equal) test would be performed.
The samples will not be dependent between the groups hence, a Two sample T-test (if there is a normal distribution and equal variance) will be done or Mann Whitney test (is a non-parametric test used to compare differences in a dependent variable for two groups that are independent) would be used.
Sample size would include no less than 30 participants; hence normality testing would be performed and Box plot would be used to represent data obtained
“Critically analyse a landmark paper and place it in the context of past and current research”
Your landmark paper is:
Ridley A.J. & Hall A. (1992). The small GTP-binding protein rho regulates the assembly of focal adhesions and actin stress fibers in response to growth factors. Cell, 70(3):389-99.
I have attached a PDF copy of the paper as well as powerpoint slides with instructions on what the markers are looking for.
Word count is 1000
You will pick a microorganism for your paper on pathology or microbe-environment interactions. Select a pathogen/microbe from current events that is an emerging or reemerging concern to you or people in your area.
– Introduction to the organism (structure, cell type, morphology, metabolic requirements, natural reservoir, history, etc.)
– Introduction to the disease(s) caused by the organism (epidemiology, signs, symptoms, etc.) OR introduction to the environmental impact of the organism
– List and describe factors employed by the organism to assist in its growth, reproduction, culture conditions, host/pathogen interactions and/or virulence. (e.g. nitrogen fixation, symbiotic interactions etc.) Categorize virulence factors by mechanisms of action (Immunity Avoidance, Tissue/Cell Lysis, Colonization/Spread)
– Discussion of treatment/prevention options for the disease(s) caused by the organism (Antibiotics or other chemotherapeutics given as part of treatment and their mechanisms of action, Vaccines available and type)
Infectious Disease Project
For your final essay, you will be preparing a persuasive response to the following question:
In a world where we each have the autonomy to decide what we do with our own bodies including the decision to treat a specific illness, take a vaccine or opt for physician-assisted suicide. How do we persuade others to prevent future incidents of disease (caused by your pathogen) and mitigate current infections of your pathogen?
Just like right now with the pandemic, people are going to be divided on the idea of persuasion to do something versus something else. In a good persuasive essay, the writer will anticipate reasons a person might give against your recommendation and ward those off in the essay.
1. Use what you have learned this semester about your pathogen to help write your response. You should be able to provide significant support to your work with the information you have studied about your pathogen – You are the “expert” on your selected topic.
2. The essay must be at least three pages (of content) – double-spaced with 1” margins. You must provide a title page and reference page – five pages total.
3. The essay should be in APA format. For more help on formatting in APA, go to the OWL APA Formatting Guide Webpage.
• Page 1→Title page – Name, Date, Institution, Intructor and Course Name/Number
• Pages 2 – 4→Three pages of content
• Page 4→Works Cited page should be setup according to the APA guidelines and include a
minimum of five peer-reviewed journal articles to support your work.
Your essay should include an introduction or background on the pathogen (enough to support your reasons
why this is necessary); at least THREE arguments to support your work; address an opposing viewpoint; and a
4. If it is one minute after, it will not be graded and you will get a zero (no excuses, no debates).
5. *REMINDER* Peer-reviewed sources must be from academic journals – no wikis, encyclopedias, magazines, etc.
6. The essay will be checked by the SafeAssign software for plagiarism – be sure to cite your sources. If you directly quote another author – these are not your words and should be cited accordingly. I highly recommend that you review your SafeAssign score and Originality Report. If your score is ≥40 – 50% and you have a bunch of direct citations, you need to adjust your essay and resubmit the assignment.
• It is okay to have direct quotes if they are cited appropriately.
• It is NOT okay to compile an endless series of direct quotes as an essay.
7. Essay should be prepared using Microsoft Word. You all of access to the Office Suite using the student
8. Rubric – you should review the grading rubric prior to submitting your essay to ensure that you meet
the minimum requirements for the assignment and prevent careless errors and loss of points.
A 1000-1500 word podcast script document
Review the requirements for this podcast script.
In this assignment, you will explain the roles of DNA, inheritance, evolution, and biodiversity in our environment in a written podcast script containing two segments. The podcast script requirements are listed here:
Podcast Segment 1 Title: Garden Variety Inheritance
Take this segment “outside,” as you walk through an imaginary vegetable garden. This will provide the backdrop for a conversation about the Punnett square and its ability to determine inheritance. Use examples from a garden to predict the development of your future vegetable crop.
Examine a plant in your garden that is exhibiting signs of infection. Break down the reproductive cycle of an RNA virus, most common for plant species, using step-by-step analysis. Close with a few helpful tips on how listeners can guard their plants from infection.
Perform an on-air experiment to determine if you are colorblind. Provide your listeners with the parent genotypes in your Punnett square so that they can follow along. This experiment will allow you the opportunity to discuss sex-linked genes and their ability to pass down family traits. Be sure to explain what the sex chromosomes are.
Podcast Segment 2 Title: It’s a Big, Bio-Diverse World Out There
Define evolutionary adaptation and provide the most interesting examples you can find to help engage the listeners.
Outline the process of natural selection. Begin with a brief history of Darwin’s theory of evolution by natural selection. Then provide examples of natural selection that we see every day, such as insect populations that have grown resistant to certain pesticides.
Depict a scenario in which a biologist for the Smithsonian Institution is assembling a new leopard exhibit. Take this opportunity to explain the phylogenetic tree and how it enables you to track the evolutionary history of a given species.
Write a two-segment podcast script.
In a 1000-1500 word document, write a two-segment podcast script that meets the topical requirements listed in Step 1. Format your script in the following manner:
All podcast segments should be contained in a single document.
Label each podcast segment with the podcast segment title provided in the script requirements.
At the end of the script, cite the sources you used in APA style (explore the Purdue OWL (Links to an external site.) website for examples). This information will not count toward your final page count total.
Use clear, concise sentences.
Use language intended for a listener as opposed to a reader. Include language that helps your audience follow along, such as “I want to talk more in depth about….”
Relate the material back to your personal experience, when possible.
Read the script out loud to yourself before finalizing it.
Explain the flow of genetic information from DNA, through RNA, to protein
Analyze different patterns of genetic inheritance
Explain the mechanisms of evolution
Analyze the relationship between biodiversity and evolution
Analyze the structure of the DNA molecule in relation to its function of information storage
Describe the structure of the human genome
Explain control of genetic expression
Analyze the inheritance of genetic disorders
Summarize evidence that supports evolutionary theory
Explain how units of biodiversity are classified
Explain how biodiversity is gained and lost
Describe the diversity of life
For this project milestone, you will create a podcast script that explains the roles of DNA, inheritance, evolution, and biodiversity in our environment. A podcast is an audio file that listeners can download about a topic of their choice. You will not need to create an audio file, but you will need to submit a written script that could be used for this purpose.
describe and justify one adaptation to the nervous system that this organism would require to inhabit Proxima